Rectangle body shape is the body shape category that approximately a third of the women fall into. Curves are evenly proportioned but your waist is not as defined to show a silhouette. Jackets, tops as well as dresses should create a waistline for you, as your body type doesn’t show one. This will give a slimmer and curvier look.
How to know if you have a Rectangle body shape:
- You have no defined waist.
- The hips width is same as the shoulders.
- Your curves are not defined.
- Your bust tends to be small or average.
- Your bottom tends to be flat.
Tops for Rectangle Body Shape
Necklines like crossover, v- neck, cowl neck, square neck and round neck are all great choices for your Rectangle shape. Tops, where the sleeve extends to the neckline (this is called Raglan), will give you more upper body width. To define your waist, wear a smaller size than your regular one. This will instantly shape your torso.
Set-in sleeve tops will work just as nicely for you as long as you keep a close watch on how well it fits in the shoulders. A high and low finish will also give you a slimmer look, adding femininity and curves that you can flaunt.
Shirt styles with extra darts at the back will also create more upper body width preventing the pull at the front buttons.
Skirts and Dresses for Rectangle Body Shape
Add an element of a longer cardigan or jacket to finish the look without making it too boxy. A nice high waist definition in a dress will work to make your waist look slimmer. Dresses that are nipped at your waistline or right below your bust as well as dresses that flare out from your waist like peplums add volume to your hips. To add dimension to your bust, wear prints, textured fabrics and embellishments from the bust upwards.
Great Pants for Rectangle Body Shape
Most pants and jeans styles look great on your Rectangle shape. Slim, straight, bootleg and wide leg all work for you. And the secret of your outfit looking great is in wearing a rise of the pants of at least 23cm/9” so your stomach is being held in by the waistband and not pouring over the edge like a muffin top.
Great Jacket for Rectangle Body Shape
Jackets play a really important part in slimming you, shaping you and making your outfit look amazing. There need to be lots of tailoring to “buy in” the waist but also enough room for you to close your jacket. Leaving your jacket open will enhance your top to create a vertical colour block.
Straight lines on jackets are very flattering as they follow your natural form. Fitted jackets can look great but avoid too fitted at the waist. Very short jackets that end above your waist is not a good idea as they will emphasize your straight waist.
There are not too many limits regarding your accessories. Big earrings and hair accessories draw the attention upward. You can club it with casual as well as chunky necklaces. Even long strands will work for you. A combination of several long strings of beads will look great against a small chest.
You have no limitations in colour, size and texture regarding your scarves and shawls.
To show your undefined waist, belts are the best thing for dresses with pleats, layered looks. To belt your waist, go for belts in dark or muted colours without any embellishments. Heavy and wide belts are great if you have a long waisted rectangle body type.
Top 5 Looks for a Rectangle Body Shape
- Dresses with hippy detailing — This is one of the best ways to add volume to your barely there hip area. Pleating, ruffles……… any form of detailing for that area is great on you.
- Embrace prints — especially if you are on the slim side, prints are a great way of adding volume to your lower half. The trick to pulling off prints is — short girls (wear smaller patterns) and Tall girls (wear bolder patterns).
- Wear shorts — your legs are the most enviable feature — so show them off by wearing sexy shorts (tailored, cut-off’s, they all look great).
- Sexy back — as a rectangle shaped woman, you are most likely to have an amazing back so show them off. Make sure they are well toned. If you flab avoid this.
- Hippy dresses or skirts –but must be clingy at the waist for definition. They give a more curvy illusion to your hips.
Top 5 Rectangle Shape Wardrobe Must-Haves
- A great dress that shapes your waist nicely.
- A well-fitted jeans is a must in your wardrobe.
- A long pendant to dress up your tops.
- A longer cardigan to mix and match your summer tops in winter.
- A nice light-weight shapely coat that you can pair with a jean or your dress to the office.